The ExPat Returneth

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Writer's Love of Pinterest

I'm at Terry's Place talking about using Pinterest for writing research. For my expat readers, not only do I have boards dedicated to novel research, but I also have boards on Japan and Japanese food. For those interested in Japanese earthquake news, there's a pinner who pins daily a map of Japan with earthquake spots on it.


There’s been a lot of debate lately about Pin­ter­est and how well it works in mar­ket­ing for writ­ers. If you go to Repinly, an offi­cial site of Pin­ter­est, you can find cur­rent sta­tis­tics on pop­u­lar cat­e­gories, activ­i­ties, and pin­ners. Under the Repinly stats on pop­u­lar pins, books don’t even rate a per­cent­age. “Film, Music, & Books” only makes three per­cent of the Pop­u­lar Boards pie chart. How­ever, con­sid­er­ing the #1 pin­ner — with 3,251,754 fol­low­ers — has a board on books, Pin­ter­est is still valu­able for writers.

But, you say, that’s just one more thing I have to do as a writer. I know. I’m with you on the whole time ration of things to do vs. writ­ing. Bear with me.

Check out Rob Eagar’s arti­cle on Pin­ter­est for mar­ket­ing your book in Writer’s Digest. Beth Hay­den also praised Pinterest’s mar­ket­ing appeal in her 56 Ways to Mar­ket Your Busi­ness on Pin­ter­est. Accord­ing to Hay­den, in “Jan­u­ary 2012, Pin­ter­est drove greater traf­fic to web­sites than LinkedIn, Google Plus, Red­dit, and Youtube com­bined.” In both arti­cles, Eagar and Hay­den give help­ful hints on how to use Pin­ter­est for marketing.


I thought I would share how I’m using Pin­ter­est as well, not because I’m a black-belt in Pin­ter­est mar­ket­ing, but because I love the site. I hope that it helps me with mar­ket­ing, but I love it as a great place to do research.

Read more at http://terryodell.com/terrysplace/?p=1028#comments.

2 comments:

  1. Another great source of all kind of Pinterest stats is www.zoomsphere.com. Definitely worth to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renata! Good to know! I'll go check it now.
      Larissa

      Delete